Saturday, May 4, 2019

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake

I really enjoyed this novel.  I felt that the way it split the two story lines and almost became a tail of two cities but of the same person was amazing.  It was a little hard to follow at first about who the crackers where and how they really came to be and what exactly this disease was but after that, honestly I found that this was a very interesting and enjoyable read that I wouldn't have picked out for myself if it hadn't been a suggested reading.  I found this to be a pretty fast read which I really wasn't expecting.  The overtones of political power, religion and remarks on society I felt weren't that ridiculous.  I felt that they were tastefully developed and that the story in general was way less tacky then the log line said it was going to be.  I felt that the relationship between Snowman and almost his mind was a great way to kind of ease away from those blaring objectives and grounded us to the characters.  I especially likes the alludes to WW2 when we are in Jimmy's world .  I think it really helps put him in a timeline even though this is fictional but it definitely adds to the more realness that oddly i take away from this? Its odd that i actually find the similarities between this novel and "the catcher in the rye" remarkable? I feel that oryx and snowmans relationship actually closely resembles the hotel chapters in the catcher in the rye and also the attitudes between sex workers and relationships have a very similar tone.  I feel as though I can go on for hours bout how well loose ends are tied in this and also how the effectiveness of two storylines with seemingly 2 different characters even though we know they are the same person is remarkable.  Over all a very very good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment